Boulder Police

Attempted murder suspect sentenced to 22 years in prison

Posted on 03/28/2019 at 08:13 pm
Ofc. Kevin Marples

On 04/27/2018, at approximately 1500 hours, the Boulder Police Department Dispatch Center, received a 9-1-1 call, in reference to a drive-by shooting, which had just occurred.  The victim reported that while picking up a friend at 3003 Valmont Road, an acquaintance, later identified as Kaylob Marrs, drove past and shot at the victim, who was inside their own vehicle.  The bullet ricocheted off the A-Frame of the victim’s vehicle and the victim drove away, while calling 9-1-1.  Multiple officers responded to the area of 3003 Valmont and began looking for Marrs, who was last seen driving a silver hatchback.

Because of the violent nature of the crime, members of the Boulder Police Department requested a warrant to obtain a location “ping” on Marrs’ cell phone, so he could be taken into custody.  The warrant was approved and granted, and department members began tracking Marr’s location.

On 05/02/2018, officers from the Westminster Police Department attempted to stop Marrs who was driving at the time. Marrs eluded officers from the Westminster Police Department and was able to get away after ramming two of their patrol vehicles.

On 05/04/2018, Marrs was again tracked to a hotel in Golden, CO.  Based on Marrs’ actions and the threat to the public, the Jefferson County SWAT Team responded to the area of the hotel and a plan was put in place to contain Marrs to the hotel and take him into custody.  In addition, officers from the Boulder Police Department, Golden Police Department, Arvada Police Department and Lakewood Police Department, all responded to ensure community safety. 

With the hotel surrounded and with no where to flee, Marrs surrendered to law enforcement on scene.  Marrs was taken from the scene by members of the Boulder Police Department and eventually lodged at the Boulder County Jail on an original charge of Attempted First Degree Murder.  This month, Marrs pled guilty to Attempted Second Degree Murder and was sentenced to 22 years in prison.  This case was an excellent example of multiple agencies working together to put a dangerous suspect behind bars.