Registration will soon be open for the Boulder Police Department’s upcoming Youth Academy. The Youth Academy is free for teenagers between the ages of 14 and 18 years old who are interested in learning more about the work police officers do.
The Academy will be held from June 10 - June 21, 2019 (Monday-Friday 8:00AM-4:00PM) at the Boulder Police Department, located at 1805 33rd St. in Boulder. The deadline to apply is June 3, 2019.
Boulder police officers will teach the all-day classes to students who will learn about every unit and division within the department. The classes will include lectures and hands-on training, plus physical fitness practice at the end of each day.
- Tour of the Boulder Police Department
- Processing staged crime scenes, which will involve interviewing “witnesses,” “victims” and suspects; as well as taking photos and collecting evidence.
- Bomb technicians will demonstrate the bomb robots and discuss how the team approaches hazardous scenes.
- Demonstrations by the SWAT team.
- Presentations by the Detective Section.
- Dispatchers will discuss how they handle thousands of calls in our Communication Center.
- Demonstrations by traffic officers on the use of radar and LIDAR guns.
- The Boulder County District Attorney’s Office will discuss the court process, testifying and provide a tour of the Boulder County Justice Center.
The classes will run from 8 a.m. until 4 p.m. each day, beginning on Monday, June 10, 2019.
The course is free. Applicants should provide their contact information as well as a paragraph or two about why they would like to participate in this program. The deadline for applications is June 3, 2019.